****NOTE THIS JOB IS POSTED BY EDGE. YOU CAN APPLY TO THE LINK BELOW THIS POST****
GIS Technician American Water
Hillsborough, New Jersey Website: & _r Category: GIS Technician Primary Role The GIS Technician will Identify assets, update maps and customized geographic information systems (GIS) applications and manipulate data to serve a variety of purposes. Read and interpret maps, and as-built drawings to locate, obtain, manipulate and understand digital land data, and manage data entered into a GIS database. Key Accountabilities – Manage as-built plans of completed projects and update system maps.
Ability to learn and understand the basic water and wastewater network structures as it applies to a network GIS configuration.
– Responsible for reviewing engineering plans, and interpreting aerial imagery including maps that are sometimes inaccurate.
Must be able to orient oneself within said map using GPS position, perform deadreckoning, compare reality, GIS, GPS, & sketches and route tables to assign the correct assets in the map to GPS positions taking.
– Thoroughly review each block surveyed for items in map that are incorrect or need to be captured.
Must be attentive, noticing missing/incorrect assets, premise, etc. Responsible for performing basic IT troubleshooting to address typical or unexpected computer communication problems that might affect GPS signal strength, Mobile Broadband, Bluetooth, Networks, etc.
– Provide active feedback to GPS project manager. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the technology involved the workflow does not work with the same quality/ consistency everywhere all the time. Responsible to adjust workflow / learn new techniques as the process is improved through feedback.
– Ability to perform these tasks while maintaining a culture of elevated safety through risk reduction in challenging work environments including poor weather, proximity to traffic, searching for assets in and under landscaping and other obstructions, etc. Knowledge/Skills – Familiar with survey GPS equipment, ESRI Collector, RTK networks, and GNSS.
ArcGIS suite of software.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Works well within a team, outstanding listening skills, ability to follow directions, and good customer service skills.
– Ability to learn and understand the basic water and wastewater network structures as it applies to a network GIS configuration.
– Ability to perform these tasks while maintaining a culture of elevated safety through risk reduction in challenging work environments including poor weather, proximity to traffic, searching for assets in and under landscaping and other obstructions, etc.
– Knowledge of water and wastewater construction techniques preferred. Experience/Education – Minimum 1 year of GPS/GIS or related field work.
– High school diploma is required. Travel
Requirements Periodic local travel; occasional national travel (e.g., User’s conference, etc.) Work Environment Indoor and outdoor environment Competencies – Champions safety – Customer obsessed – Cultivates innovation – Nimble learning – Drives Results – Collaborates When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.