GIS Specialist - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Post Date:April 20, 2020
- Apply Before: June 30, 2021
- Views 3044
33 Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, S8 0RL
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, nonprofit wildlife conservation organization with two world-famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The GIS Specialist supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. The Geographic Information Systems Specialist performs analysis and database development utilizing geographic information systems technology and executes various GIS functions in the office and field. This position reports to a Supervisor or Manager.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Operate and maintain geographic information system, interpret data and create innovative ways to present information.
- Develop and maintain digital base maps using the latest technology and provide subject matter expertise to management
- Develop new methodologies for leveraging and analyzing quantitative data visualization products that leverage market research data and quantitative findings, working on projects independently and in partnership with team leaders.
- Perform field data collections with GPS equipment, gather and compile data from sources, including, but not limited to census, filed observations and existing maps.
- Maintain SDZWA ArcGIS Online Groups, Content, and Users.
- Reviews related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Evaluate and anticipate user needs, provide ongoing training, troubleshoot and make recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Create GIS data from construction drawings.
- Enter new map data through use of a digitizer or by direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales
- Prior experience with GIS using ESRI software required.
- Prior experience with ArcGIS Online required.
- Construction experience, utility network experience and mobile app development experience preferred.
EDUCATION AND CERFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent coursework at a technical or vocational school in GIS,
- Cartography, Geography, or Civil Engineering
- Valid California driver license in good standing is required
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have strong working knowledge of ArcGIS 10.7 suite, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online and related apps.
- Knowledge of Geode GPS software and locating equipment.
- Able to operated computer programs used in digital mapping.
- Construction terminology and practices is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines in an efficient and timely manner.
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to operate MS Office.
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams and effectively with others in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to bring energy and a consistent, positive, problem-solving attitude to their work.
- Able to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, identifying opportunities for mutual success.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Duration: Year round
- Positions available: 1
- Non-Union position: Pay is commensurate with experience
- If you are currently in a union position, please make sure to reach out to your Benefits Representative in Human Resources, as this will affect your current benefits.
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description available upon request
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER – San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- Strong Market connections for business development of the bank.
- Strong knowledge of Corporate products and regulatory requirements.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge of Corporate Banking, Risk Management, Compliance and Central Bank regulations.