American States Utility Services
The GIS Specialist role is responsible for maintaining geodatabases for multiple subsidiaries as well as the organization and implementation of any geospatial data provided from outside sources. It is the Specialist’s responsibility to keep the geospatial information as accurate and up to date as possible while adhering to all corporate wide standards, industry best practices, and fulfilling all requirements for data integration into the Cityworks CMMS software package. The GIS Specialist will also serve as a support role for training, technical support, and data conversion projects.
- Effectively manages, presents, and analyzes spatial data using ESRI products.
- Incorporates spatial and non-spatial data from a broad range of sources into Enterprise ArcSDE geodatabases. Sources include but are not limited to: Access databases, Excel spreadsheets, PDFs, AutoCAD files, and Microstation drawings
- Creates highly detailed, complex maps appropriate for dissemination to Installation Property Management and field operations that effectively communicate spatial information, conveying the results of GIS analyses.
- Carefully and efficiently manages GIS data, GPS data and incorporates field data from the Operations Department for asset and inventory management.
- Insures that GIS data is properly formatted for seamless integration into Cityworks
- Tracks GIS corrections and update requests through the Cityworks user interface
- Creates maps, apps, and publishes services using ArcGIS Online solutions
- Incorporates ESRI’s COTS solutions technology to expand the foundations of our GIS program
- Manages and maintains ArcGIS Online groups, content, and other relevant services
- Develops tile packaged basemaps to be cached and used in ArcGIS Online, Cityworks, and other software applications
- Assists in the creation, updating, and maintenance of the ArcGIS Online webpage
- Fulfills internal survey requests using total station equipment or similar GPS based hardware
- Field locates underground utility assets and utilizes GPS technology to integrate field observations with GIS data
- Performs research and analysis to support best practices, geospatial applications and services
- Assists and performs data manipulation and integration tasks in a SQL Server environment.
- Responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of multiple subsidiary geodatabases in accordance with corporate standards defined to ensure compliance and thorough accounting for redetermination efforts.
- Creates, defines, models and implements standardized geodatabase schemas to be used at all ASUS subsidiary locations.
- Maintains, edits, and updates the existing schema to meet company and contractual needs
- Publishes changes and communicates schema updates to entire GIS team
- Trains staff in GPS data collection using Trimble GPS units or similar survey equipment.
- Trains new GIS technicians in current business and data manipulation practices
- As needed assists with drafting for capital projects using AutoCAD software based on verbal instructions or sketches provided by Engineers.
- Assists Engineering Department in preparing exhibits and compiling information for capital budgets, system inventories, project status reports and schedules.
- Manages as-built plans of completed projects and updates system maps.
- Responsible for maintaining plotter/scanner software, equipment and media.
- Collaborates with the other GIS roles located at various installations to develop and maintain spatial databases, tune spatial content, and ensure the reliability of data content.
- Participates in meetings with various staff and third party contractors to fully understand expected project outcomes.
- Assists Information Technology with troubleshooting problems associated with existing GIS applications, tools and data.
- Provides ongoing support to the Engineering Design Center (EDC) and assists with GIS data conversions for AutoCAD utilization
- Provides ongoing training, support, and troubleshooting services for GIS programs, functions, and related hardware/software. Represents ASUS by creating reports, giving presentations, or producing similar content to share within the GIS community and utilities industry via conferences, local user groups, and other professional functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Geography, GIS, or IT related field or Seven (7) years of progressive experience in the design and development of geospatial information systems using ESRI technology in Local Government and/or Water/Wastewater Utility industry.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of ArcGIS ModelBuilder and Python scripting with the Arcpy module and other IDEs such as PythonWin
- Experience installing, managing, and developing web mapping applications using ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online.
- Exposure to database design, visualization technologies, and modeling and simulation.
- Knowledge of data collection principles and practices, and experience deploying or operating mobile GIS solutions, including GPS units with ArcPad and Trimble GPS Analyst.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and a solid understanding of cartographic principles.
- The ability to read engineering plans and interpret aerial imagery.
- The ability to work effectively and efficiently for extended periods of time with little to no guidance or direct supervision
- Successful candidates must pass background checks which include the National Agency Check (NAC).
- US Citizenship required.
For interested candidates, please visit: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ASWC&cws=37&rid=1092